Sunday, January 31, 2010

what's yours is mine

Part of my job as an intern includes sorting and reading...a lot of reading. I've encountered so many diverse, yet triggering pieces, each one unique to its writer. I'm blogging about this now because I just came across two of the sweetest pieces I've read yet. They pulled at my heart, but also left me with a palpable excitement for what they were updating their readers about.
One of the letters was written by an American man--young, according to the picture he posted alongside the text--living in Korea. He was reporting on how he has met his future wife there, and gave detailed plans explaining their meeting and falling in love. She is now his fiance and wedding arrangements are quickly being made. 
The second letter was noticeably terse and straight to the point. But through the quickly-written text you could feel joy and love pulsing through this man's finger tips. His wife was in labor at the hospital and he was waiting in the lobby for his two twin girls to be born. 
I'll probably never meet either of these men. I'll never hear their long life stories or understand the true emotions they're experiencing as they type away these exciting updates, but their joy has been passed to me in a very real way. I don't need to know them. I don't even need the details, really. And I think that's what I love about writing most. It doesn't take analyzing and extensive knowledge of someone to understand them through their written words. Sometimes all it takes is an exclamation point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment